Monday, November 27, 2006

Procrastination – The Thief of Time

“Don’t wait. The time will never be just right”- Napolean Hill.
I have finally done it! I have finally started the journey in slow progress . I have learnt to curb the P word. I am not fully cured but since I have combated it better this month I decided to pen it down for all it's worth. It definitely gives a tremendous boost to confidence and thats a wonderful feeling! Many would describe procrastination in a plethora of ways. It’s a long and tedious process to conquer but it’s achievable. For me, it was just a mental mind set. You have to do what you just have to do and you have to do it now! There are various articles on why we procrastinate and its nice reading. But like all reading materials, we tend to forget it the moment we close the pages, and than, when things never get done we logically justify our actions consciously or unconsciously with...“It’s just that there is no time", "tomorrow the weather will be better", "I am just too lazy", "there arent enough materials', 'I am not just in a good mood right now", "I just have to do this some other time", "I want to do it right with a little more time", ......….! We denote procrastination to incurable in extreme cases and and write it off as part of our personality or worse, our incapability. But, by doing so we are allowing our body to take control over our mind. Take for example, the “cleaning out day”. Cleaning out cupboards and shelves was a huge topper on my list of “procrastinate with glory”. I realized that I would put off what I really needed to do and feel immense guilt for it later. To conquer this feat, I selected a day and time, switched off everything else that would call me away from the task in hand and switched on wonderful music to give me that extra motivation. Just as I began, my friend dropped by to ask me to join her for a cup of tea. Torn, I hesitated for a moment, asked her to give me a few minutes and did a wonderful speed job of cleaning. Voila! Not only did I have tea but I circled a day on my calendar for the next cleaning session. Another good example this month of combating procrastination is my previous tale of walking away the calories. A friend had the privilege of listening to me everyday for the past five months of how much I would prefer to find some time to work out those calories. Finally, with exasperation my well-wisher just stated succinctly. “Don’t talk about it, just do it!” though it quite sounded more like “stop whining and wasting my time!”. it certainly helped! For ammunition on this virus check out
"Don’t do today what you can put off until tomorrow.""In putting off what one has to do, one runs the risk of never being able to do it."-Charles Baudelaire
"Tomorrow is often the busiest day of the week." -Spanish Proverb
"Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task." -William James

No comments: