Monday, November 20, 2006

Winter And Butterflies

I have had a few butterflies land on me and even follow me lately. Actually, it probably means we both like the same color. Butterflies are attracted to blues, lavenders, pinks and some yellows. In butterfly museums they suggest you wear those colors. Then when you go into the butterfly enclosure, they land on you and it’s quite a wonderful experience.

My sister, a notable student of entomology stated the obvious. Winter is almost here. I can feel the chill already and its not even December. According to my erudite sister, butterflies apparently portray a chilly winter just around the corner as they tend to migrate to winter regions in search of suitable habitats.

I was amused to read what Rick Mukila, a web naturalist had to say about his butterfly cultivation. In the excerpt of his article where he talks about how butterflies are hidden in envelopes and flowers and are released at weddings painted a paradise vision. He began his article with an American Indian legend on butterflies which was cute. If I was younger, I would have believed it:

To have a wish come true you must capture a butterfly. Whisper your wish to it and set it free. The winged messenger will then take your message to the Great Spirit and it will be granted."

For more, check: http://butterflywebsite.com/Articles/wedding.htm

The only way I can attach superstition to seeing butterflies has been similar to some myths stating that butterflies signify changes. Its mere coincidence that whenever I saw butterflies starting Dec 2005 it had some effect on my career and even I must say thrice could be quite a coincidence.

But people out there, if you believe in superstition and butterflies symbolizing marriage, don’t fret. There is nothing wrong in a little fantasy and belief in fairytales.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

beautiful blog my sweet friend..

Imti said...

Here's something you might like:

"There is a Native American legend that says, " If you have a secret wish, capture a butterfly and whisper your wish to it. Since butterflies cannot speak, your secret is ever safe in their keeping. Release the butterfly, and it will carry your wish to the Great Spirit, who alone knows the thoughts of butterflies. By setting the butterfly free, you are helping to restore the balance of nature, and your wish will surely be granted."
http://www.askyewolfe.com/symbolism-butterfly.html