Sunday, February 18, 2007

Not Just a Regular Day at the Office

Today, we shifted into the new office building after the merger between the two great companies. It’s in a new building situated right next to my old office, so there wasn’t much hassle during the shifting process for the entire team.
We are spending the entire day rearranging desks. There are more people situated on one floor now than it was initially meant to be. For the moment, we are all piled into the top floor while the other floors are getting furnished.
Surprisingly, the shifting process worked faster than expected. I was even surprised to find that the IT and the Admin department had done such an excellent job during the weekend on the PABX, intranet and ID cards punch-in machines. The lifts are not operational yet so I guess until it does; climbing up to the fourth floor (which actually feels like the sixth) should help me loose those calories I have been willing to shed for a while.
The place is possibly as great as I had initially expected it to be, but the excitement has deemed somewhat. The cubicles and the rooms have been enacted so close to each other due to the cramped-up piling of people onto one floor that the spaces between the cubicles are less comparatively. Even though this is just a temporary situation, it's leading to the effect of being cooped up like a pack of birds. The entire shifting process was quite thrilling nevertheless. It was a whole new changeover, like having a haircut or something. My sitting area is situated in front of those huge windows so I now have a lovely view of coconut trees until the blinds are plugged in. It’s refreshing and nice and spacious for me compared to the others, so why the nostalgia?
I guess I can only say that some things are hard to control. Mentally and physically I am situated in the new office building but my feelings are more honest: "no matter how flexible a person I claim to be or how exciting a change, there will always be a part of me that will take just a little longer than a day to adjust, its all just a matter of time". The initial kinks during a shift have to be worked upon and like always, without fail, the familiarity will finally set in. And than, life shall move on until we have to shift again when the entire building is completed. And I shall write this line again with excitement, thrill and nostalgia.
"Today is not a repeat performance but a debut"

No comments: