Security in mobility is a huge factor here. Though transport situation is better than it used to be many years ago, people without a proper personal vehicle is decidedly prone to accidents and mugging and zero security. My friend Imti was mugged a couple of months ago while walking back to his place, bearing on his face, an interesting cut incurred from the spectacles that was punched into his forehead. My sister, who was mugged in an expensive taxi cab and red pepper rubbed into her eyes before her mobile phone and cash was confiscated, is another good example. My brother, also falling prey to local mugging, tried a few of his learnt karate punches without avail on the gang of thieves that hailed him on a rickshaw a few months ago and took his expensive mobile phone which I had given him on his birthday. I never saw him cry ever since he was a baby until that day. My colleague, lost his 7th mobile phone to the muggers’ victory while travelling in a CNG autorickshaw, his stories now are an entertainment in the office. The list could go on. But combine insecurity of public transportation, any form, to that of heavy rain showers accompanied by life threatening hail storms we have independence brought down to a bare minimum in Dhaka city.
And thus we all live here. Trying to make the most out of life and living.
I always relied on my spiritual instincts telling me what I should do and differentiating between what to do and what not to do. So far, my instincts hadn’t failed me. Even though each time life had provided a fork in the road for me, I had happily taken the detour, enjoying the scenery along the way; each detour in life pounced upon with joy and excitement. So, yesterday was really the first time I sighed because something as monumental as attending a final exam on time had made me realize that the absence of a constant "mobility factor" has started bothering me.
As the storm ensued with heavy downpour along with lightening and thunder, I sat resigned, and looked at the sky, which was different than the usual darker pleasant atmosphere during such heavy downpour. The sky was illuminously bright with sunlight shinning through the heavy rain. I wondered if there was a rainbow somewhere. The smell of the earth was not as good as it used to be; increased pollution and open drains replacing the smell of the earth with foul smell. While I tried to enjoy the situation, which was otherwise quite exasperating, I wondered whether I could attend the Capital Budgeting exam on time. In all these years, I was finally a sad victim to the situational condition relating to transportation in Dhaka city, and even if I was, it had not galled me before.
Does this type of situation prevail elsewhere in the world? I lived in Bangalore for five years and never did I have an issue with transport or weather condition causing a transportation problem. Nor did I have to unduly worry about transport and security for that matter. Someone had asked me a few days ago why I wasn’t married when I was 19yrs. Interesting enough, it had never before crossed my mind. Would I have been happy if I had been married before? How am I supposed to know? Looking back at the best proposal that came my way back at that age, I would have been situated in Texas right now, with about a few kids, possibly with or without a career. probably with a loving partner, or probably not. Would secure transport and heavy downpour cause such a frown if I that a result of that pathway? Would there be other issues that would have plagued me, perhaps.
But since I just didn’t tread a different path to my life as the one I am on right now, there is absolutely no possibility of visualising something that could have happened or not happened. I am a realist. I know one thing. I certainly need to do something about this mobility factor; I need to get back on the track of one Capital Budgeting Course of Managerial Finance that I cannot believe I have to re-take. And, I have to definitely get my life more organized. With that thought, coupled with the quote on my calendar made me take a few notes on a few details missing on my previous schedules, one such one will now include, checking on a better transport schedule. And I need to see if a car/ the car/ our car gets fixed before the end of the week, if not, I need to get a temporary one fixed to provide me a better and more secured transport facility during this monsoon season.
“You have limited energy, focus it on the things that matter”.
No comments:
Post a Comment