Sunday, May 6, 2007

Wishes Do Come True

A ram is said to run very fast up a mountain and than once it's up there, it doesn't really know what to do. Either to decide whether to walk back downhill or to enjoy the view. This was a characteristic trait painted for a particular horoscope character.
My life is not akin to the galloping nature of a ram. I possess qualities akin to that of a mountain goat, treading softly and climbing slowly, munching on grass or nails as I see fit. Once atop the mountain, I pause to take a pause, and muse and enjoy the view.
But, though satisfaction at victory may seem quite the norm, there can be disappointments too. Here, the wise sayings of mother Teresa “More tears are shed over answered prayers than unanswered ones” holds true for some of my prayers, not to a huge extent though. Take for instance when I went to Katmandu. I am not saying that Katmandu is not a highly unexpected disappointment but it didn't quite meet up to what I had wished it to look like, as I saw in the photographs. The temples were interesting and Pokhra was a sensational nature's paradise so my trip to Nepal wasn't a complete loss.
But, on the other hand, take the case of my possessing a laptop into realistic view. I had wanted my own personal official laptop for so long that when I got it, I was terribly overwhelmed. I took home work with glee, placed the dainty item on my table, which previously hosted only books and stationary and looked at it for a while. I couldn’t stop smiling, grappling with the feeling of being a proud owner of such a beauty. But, interestingly enough, the joy didn't last long. The laptop was cumbersome to carry to work and back home, besides taking home office work soon became a norm. After all, they gave me a laptop, it was expected to be made use of 24/7. Initially what seemed a convenience turned into a chore. Besides, for security reasons, I was not allowed to download personal software onto office property. Until finally, exasperation forced me to get my own gadget, which, mind you, I could have done initially without waiting for an office to provide me with it.
A year ago, a friend of mine, who has lived in Dhaka all her life, was musing about going abroad and living on her own. She punched buttons on the lift of her cousin's house and wondered when she will have the keys to her own apartment. It brought back memories of my own, and Ï gave her a big sparkling smile saying "one day, amigo, you shall". And whether she will enjoy having the key to her own apartment, remains to be seen. But, than what I am saying is, that in our joyous attempt to enjoy life, we overemphasize the phrase "joy". They say, even people who live in the mountains cease to see the beauty of it after a while.
So I believe, its important to know what we wish for, think about, because it may happen and because we really were not specific and we didn’t think it through enough, we may be unhappy with what we get. But, if we are in touch with reality and are more practical about our wants and needs in life, we tend to be less disappointed.
“As we think, so shall it be“! I believe too that we have the power to manifest whatever we focus on. Like the naked soul said, Our thoughts will become our reality. “I wish everything I touched turned to gold”, etc and we all remember what happened to King Midas, right?
"There are two things to aim at in life: First, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second." Logan Pearsall Smith.

No comments: