Monday, June 4, 2007

A Rainy Day, Fever and Fond Memories

It rained heavily this morning bringing to the lives of people the respite they were seeking from the unbearable heat. Sometimes wishes do come true. Sometimes, like today, rain makes me melancholy.
When I lived in Bangalore, I would sit in my lovely balcony overlooking the garden, sipping a cup of herbal tea during weekends and reading a book. Today, however, while I stayed back home after the grueling week, I felt under the weather, and had to call in sick because I felt feverish and there was a numbing feeling in my limbs. It’s a rare incidence and it’s the time when I know that being productive is the last thing on my to-do list.
There were no unread books to soothe me today and the balcony at home is just not the same as it used to be in Bangalore. That reminded me that I needed to invest in some good books to read on my trip to Singapore after two weeks.
I have always loved traveling. I love seeing new places and I am totally comfortable being on my own. Some like company, some just love traveling for the sake of traveling. I fall in the group of the later, though having a good company would definitely make a trip even more worthwhile.
Today, suddenly I remembered my childhood Gujrati friend Pinky and wondered what she was up to these days. She was my look-alike twin back in school. We were best friends ever since kindergarten till grade six. When we parted I remember crying a lot. She had told me that she would invite me to her wedding as that was perhaps the monumental get-together occasion of all times. Back when I was young, 10 years seemed like a lifetime and parting always meant forever.
Strangely enough, she did invite me for her wedding which was over a decade ago. Now, the mother of two, she resides in London and suddenly we have reestablished contact which was surprising. She had told her hubby that she wanted to come to Bangladesh and put my picture in the papers. I did search for her on yahoo too all this time. With a stroke of good luck, she came across another contact who knew me and after one whole decade, one fine day she just called. Some day I look forward to the reunion, there will be some catching up to do.
This year, in August, another close friend from high school Samina is tying the knot and this is yet another wedding I will be missing out on. Like always, I tell myself, there will be a day, for the reunion. It’s strange how things turn out in future. People we think we shall always be in touch with somehow fades into the distance, and some people who we feel we will never meet again ends up being there forever. There is no telling how and who will be our dear ones in the journey of life. We can only cherish the friends we have right now and enjoy the times we spend with them while looking forward to those special few who come back into our lives.

No comments: