Thursday, April 5, 2007

Greener Pastures? Or not?

One of my closest friends today wrote me a mail that had me gaping with surprise. She was such a happy person all her life, I had no idea that there was trouble in paradise.
I sat back and reflected on why this happened and came up with no solutions or any easy answer. Just a thought.
Some of us tend to think that life across the planet is so much better than the ones we are leading on our side of the planet. I remember being a victim of that thought years ago before I went to study for my undergrad program in a place far from home.
Now, when I look back, I am glad I had the opportunity and the experiences I had gathered and would never wish to reverse back time to do things differently. What I hadn't counted on, though, was the loneliness I had felt, the parents I had missed, the tough life I had to endure. There were times, I would look at the white wall of my apartment and dream of being back home.
And than I got back home, and now I dream of going back. However, I know the score now. Sometimes, we just tend to ignore the small sharp thorns when viewing the lovely roses. Life is definitely better when we are aware of both the beauty of the roses and the sharpness of the thorns because only than can we pluck the tiny thorns away so that we don't hurt ourselves when holding the roses in the palm of our hands.
I fervently hope my friend overcomes her troubles, while she does so, I am taking a break here to count my blessings with a new look to my blog.
"God, please grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference" - Serenity Prayer

No comments: