Wednesday, April 4, 2007

"Must-see" places.

What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.
No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.
No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.
No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.
No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.
No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.
A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.- William Henry Davies.
Switzerland is the land of my dreams. I don't quite know when that fact was established. Perhaps, movies, TV and travelogues have made a tremendous impact on my traveling wishes and dreams.
Places I would really love to see before I finally reach heaven is to see heaven on earth. I love mountains and the sea and the lovely greens. I am a nature person. I also like deep dark rain forests, lakes and countryside views. Being a city girl, these places feel perfect to visualize when I am stressed at work.
I have had Nepal, Ooty and Kodaikanal in my list of “must-see” places and I have already crossed them off as I visited each place more than once. In fact, my first oil painting consisted of an old scenery of Nepal copied from a travelogue. Last year I had a great wish to see Darjeeling and missed the tour for various reasons. I had wanted to see real life snow in my life because I have heard it's quite an experience.
Right now, with the heat, pollution and congestion in the city, I fancy a peaceful vacation armed with a book, an easel, a i-pod and a place so picturesque that I can just sit for hours looking at the view, drawing or simply just feeling the breeze on my face.
I was shocked to realize that I have my entire annual leave and casual leave pending at work as well as a carry over of both from the previous year. If I don't avail them I will soon forfeit them. When did I turn into such a workaholic? Its not that I really want to work, but perhaps I really do need a break and visit one place for now…...My first target is to visit Srimongol with its lush green tea gardens and quaint cottages until finally, some day, I have an opportunity to visit the famous Swiss Alps.
It’s a fact that Switzerland has more than 1,500 lakes and it is said that you are never more than 10 miles from a lake anywhere in the country.

No comments: